1/31/08

Readin', Writin', and Ramblin'


Game theory and development books.
Books critical to my professional development
teeter, in a Jenga-like pile,
...unread.

Reading thick manuals and longish novels seems to get harder, as time progresses. I used to swallow books whole, pre Internet days. But my attention span (attn span) is smaller than a Shuffle. I'd rather be playing Carcasonne.

So much software to assimilate (you need it to land decent jobs and build a portfolio), so little time.


I find myself keying "cu l8tr" and "w/ & w/o u" into any number (#, no.) of wireless or satellite-fueled devices--devices from which dangle tiny plastic panda bears in bunny suits. A guy walked into my office wearing a T-shirt that read OMFG STFU. Another guy walked into the office wearing a T-shirt that read NSFW!. I had to explain what this meant to a colleague of mine who is NOT versed in net acronyms, btw. And (&) it seems like only yesterday I was actually reading full length bound novels--real literature (lit). Wtf is this world coming to ?

I'd rather IM or TM and LOL than deal with the Chicago Manual of Style.Is reading pasee? & books, all but obsolete? What is this world coming to 2?

So I've figured out that games are where it's at.
Time to play. K? But what? Tabletop (strategy) ? RPG ? Multi player RPG (online) ? Virtual (not multiplayer) ? Old school (e.g. pick-up stix)) ? Arcade (console...Miss Pac Man)?

A nine year old girl has been gracious enough to introduce me to Millsberry. And explain wtf is going on 2 me. She sends me holiday cards and lil' heys! from Millsberry's post office. This is my first real foray into this type of virtual game play. I'd rather engage in a virtual world where I get to be a six foot tall goth chic wielding a battle axe across the Scottish highlands. But I suppose Millsberry--which makes Mayberry look like Sodom--is as good a place as any to start. But hey. One's gotta start small.


Get those toes wet.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly with the idea that society is growing in attention deficit. I was at a Youtube party a couple weeks ago and if anyone put on a video over three minutes, people got restless and easily distracted by other things. And with ipods now, when was the last time you listened to an entire album? haha, we surely are spiraling down some sort of drain. Then you mention games where I feel it's definitely hit or miss. I love games, and I can sit through hours of taking turns and weaving strategies, but some people, two or three hours into Risk, they just lose it and suddenly we're all making a run for 7-11. But anyway, if becoming a hard core virtual warrior was what you were really looking for and you don't want to dish out the dollars for World-of-Warcraft, here's a free online game called FallenSword. Should give you what you wanted.