2/20/08

Me vs. The Virus




Shitty Shitty Week Week.

The cold/flu thing that's out in full force this season hit me like a brick a couple of weeks ago. I'm only NOW--12 days later--starting to feel better. No fun and games for me lately. I've spent a greater part of the past week starting at the glitter on the ceiling and Building My Own Virus. I did not, however, turn my sickness into a retarded, yet amusing, lo-tech video such as these folks did (one of many videos on You Tube with a sick-in-bed theme, incidentally).

I work in a people-rich environment. Thousands of people walk across my workplace corridors on any given day. I touch surfaces that thousands of others have touched: keyboards, door knobs, mice (the electronic kind), pens, phones, staplers, coffee urn levers, microwave ovens, communal room keys, faucets, etc. I also ride public transportation to/fro work, which adds another dimension of contamination possibilities. I also touch misc. other doo-dads that virus and bacteria ridden peeps have touched: dice, washer/dryer controls, shopping carts, etc. Germs travel fast.

Touching any one of the aforementioned surfaces and then proceeding to accidentally touch any one of my facial mucous membranes is what did it.

My doctor says he gets sick 4-5 times a year. He has considered wearing a mask when seeing patients, but feels it would be too off-putting and impersonal. Instead, he shakes every patient's hand upon seeing them, then proceeds to wash his hand in scorching hot water, with a special virus-nixing liquid soap.

A family friend got a flu shot which proved to be useless for this season's flu virus. Well, things could be worse. At least I'm not one of those poor shmoes who caught the Killer Cold Virus that did some healthy adults in.

Even tragic and serious topics are made into entertaining games these days. Seems like anything and everything is fair game. Who knew that helping one's body fight invading bacteria could be fun and games? And that microbes could be so cute?







3 comments:

Check out our website! said...

Sorry to hear you are sick, I hope you get better soon because being sick is not the spirit. Although it's not cool that you are sick, I enjoyed reading your post. The way you describe your environment reminds me how easy it is to catch a cold. Germs really do travel fast and touching almost anything could become a fatality. Therefore, reading articles about ones health is always important and i'm glad you brought it to your audience attention.

Caleb said...

I'm just getting over a sickness myself. And i really wanted to make my own version of the "sick in bed" video. Just to creep you all out. However, I am going to leave it as an idea, because that requires work and I'm sick. So I think I will be getting back to my gaming habits. Peace

Jesse C. said...

PLUSH MICROBES! Collect The Whole Set!! Wow, it really sucks to be sick. But at least you seem to have a sense of humor about it. I just try not to breath from pretty much November through March, still not 100% foolproof though. The worst is riding the muni durning the wet months. It is like jumping into a pool filled with concentrated sick. Ewwww. Hey at least there are plush microbes to keep you company in your time of feverish achy sorrow.